Sunday, October 9, 2016

hurricane matthew

By now, everybody who has access to television and social media has heard about hurricane Matthew and the devastation it caused the east coast. It was an experience for sure. I grew up in a country that gets hit with typhoons several times a year and I thought it will just be another "one of those". I thought wrong.
The day before our area got hit, I had a luggage packed for the whole family with provisions that was good for a few days. I have learned to pack from years of experience with storms and having kids. Yes, when you have kids like mine you learn to pack light without skimping on the necessities. Anyway, the governor did not order a mandatory evacuation. She urged residents to voluntarily evacuate for their safety. Our zone was not included on the list of areas that was urged to evacuate but we still moved to a bigger house in a better neighborhood since ours is prone to flooding. The husband and his son-in-law visited our house twice on the 8th (Saturday), in the morning and after lunch. Everything was fine in the morning but when he came back after lunch he said the place was flooded. The streets was nothing but water and that some houses had water up to their front door. The wind was bad, it felt like it was swirling. He had to turn around quick because he was afraid he was going to get stuck on the road if a tree falls. There were, in fact, a bunch of trees down either uprooted or broken at the trunk.
The good thing about a big house is that no matter what was happening outside, we hardly heard any noise. Sure, we heard the wind from time to time and we know it was raining but in a way the house provided security which we knew our house would not have.
The one thing that was bad was the media. We were watching "live" broadcast and I am telling you, it was horrible to watch. They make it sound like it was so bad (which it was in some areas) that friends and relatives sent me messages asking about us and praying for our safety. I did not mind those, to be honest. I was happy that somebody else somewhere was praying for us but it worried our loved ones. We were so grateful when it finally passed. We could not wait to go home to check our house and the neighborhood. We went home on Sunday to find our house dry and the yard full of debris. The fence were in good shape and the power out. Power was back on about thirty minutes after we got in and the internet started working again like nothing has happened. We were lucky and for that we are grateful. We pray for the ones that are badly affected by the storm and we hope that people will recover from this quick. Let us all hope that that was the first and last hurricane for this year.

No comments: